Domestic abuse

Keeping you safe

We do not tolerate domestic abuse. If you, or someone in your neighbourhood, is experiencing domestic abuse – we are here to help. We will work together to offer support to match individual needs.

In an emergency always call the police (999)


“Domestic abuse can include controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are of have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality”

What this might look like

  • Your money being withheld or controlled
  • You are being stopped from seeing your family and/or friends
  • Your choices are being controlled
  • You receive unwanted/excessive contact from a current or ex-partner
  • You are being physically hurt
  • Your home is being damaged
  • You feel you have to adjust your behaviour for fear of upsetting the other person

How we can help

You can have confidence in disclosing domestic abuse to us – you are not alone.

We can:

  • Carry out a risk assessment with you
  • Make your home more secure
  • Help with changes to your tenancy
  • Help you to move into safe accommodation

Reach out to us safely

We know that every situation is different, and we will be led by you. You are not alone and can have confidence in speaking to our experienced team. Once you’ve let us know, we will do what we can do help you in your home (whether that’s making your home safe or helping you to move).

We will also work with other organisations to make sure your supported in every way – we call this ‘co-ordinated community response’.


A safe place to meet and chat

We can meet you in one of our offices (Covid-19 permitting), or at an agreed safe place, so that we can help you. We can also agree on a safe way to contact you.

We will be led by you. We will keep the information you tell us confidential – unless we feel there are serious concerns for your safety. Children are also affected by what they see, hear and experience. If we’re concerned for the safety of a child, we will need to let the safeguarding agencies know – they are here to help too.

Clare’s Law Disclosure

If you are concerned about the way your partner is behaving, or that they may have a history of domestic abuse, you can request a 'Clare's Law Disclosure' from the Police. You will find further information on your County Constabulary's website. They will share information with you and let you know if the person you are in a relationship with you could pose a risk to you.

More information

We’ve put together this useful flyer with more information on support services available – including mobile apps and helplines.